Tuesday 5 January 2010

Prodded into action

Fine, fine, I'll write something. But I warn you I'm in a rather humourless mood, what with being back at work after a nice long holiday and also quivering in the shadow of the landmark birthday that is soon to crash down upon me.

But while cheer is scarce, I will admit to having found a small scrap of satisfaction in a stray capital A in Sally Baker's column today. Unless it is there for a reason I haven't picked up on, in which case the last laugh is on me and I shall go and stick my head in the oven (it's alright YES THAT'S RIGHT I'M WRITING ALRIGHT AS ONE WORD, following a leaving-the-gas-on incident during the Christmas period, the offender assured me that gas was no longer poisonous). First line, third word.
Dearest reader Another set of rude retorts from the early 19th-century Times to its readers under the heading “To Correspondents”, courtesy of www.timesonline.co.uk/archive: “In answer to several correspondents, we have to state, that the Irish earl alluded to in yesterday’s Mansion-house report is the Earl of Glengall.

After that moment of self indulgence, I went on to laugh my head off (though gritted teeth) at her offerings of the Times' best typos of 2009. Here are my favourite two and the rest are here.

I’m still bemused by a not so much mixed as entirely misused metaphor in October, when we said that a tennis player’s wife who had made matters worse by slapping an umpire after an on-court row had “poured oil on troubled waters”, when we clearly meant to say that she had added fuel to the flames.

And finally, we rather took the edge off our Italian Christmas feature in December with a sub-head insisting that it consisted of “fish, foul and the very best of winter produce”.
Although neither compare with this one, which I found while plotting how to put my new year's resolutions into action. Salsa classes at The Coalition begin with a worm up, don't you know. How liberating!

And from the Chief: essential information for all spelling offenders courtesy of theoatmeal.com.

3pm update: from one of our own:
The markets would be cited in population-dense areas with easy access for both businesses and shoppers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow lost souls

About Me

My photo
Why did I turn out such a pedant? Well you'd have to ask my TV-banning, lentil-baking, library-enforcing, doctor-eschewing, beanbag-sitting, grammar-correcting, homeopathic, 2nd dan black belt, all-round no-nonsense mother. 'Cos me, I got no idea.