Tuesday 22 December 2009

Life of Bi

This is one of those niggly ones that crop up just infrequently enough to be forgotten.

I have gone to the oracle (The Times Style Guide), as follows:

bi

Its correct use is in Latin compounds, where it has the force of two, not half, such as bicentenary/bicentennial (a two-hundredth anniversary), or biennial (recurring every two years). Biannual means twice a year; to avoid confusion, write out twice a year.

Biweekly, meanwhile, is even stickier. According to Oxford, it can mean twice weekly or every two weeks. Best to steer clear and go for fortnightly and twice weekly, methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow lost souls

About Me

My photo
Why did I turn out such a pedant? Well you'd have to ask my TV-banning, lentil-baking, library-enforcing, doctor-eschewing, beanbag-sitting, grammar-correcting, homeopathic, 2nd dan black belt, all-round no-nonsense mother. 'Cos me, I got no idea.