Tuesday 22 December 2009

The present perfect and the past simple

Ohhhh yes, Kitty and The Bastard. I have lured you here with the promise of bitchiness and lexical self-congratulation. But now I am going to bang on about grammar. Yes!

The present perfect:
profits have risen this year
Kit has eaten six mince pies today... so far...
Someone has scribbled all over this in red
(the period of time is not yet finished, or very recently finished)

The past simple:
Profits rose last year
I ate three doughnuts yesterday
Someone scribbled all over it in red, but I've sorted it out now
(the period of time is finished)

That's all. Perfectly simple. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow lost souls

About Me

My photo
Why did I turn out such a pedant? Well you'd have to ask my TV-banning, lentil-baking, library-enforcing, doctor-eschewing, beanbag-sitting, grammar-correcting, homeopathic, 2nd dan black belt, all-round no-nonsense mother. 'Cos me, I got no idea.