Tuesday 9 February 2010

three dots

Those three little dots are driving me mad.

Three dots. Space before? Space after?

The way I see it, there are two usages for the little buggers.
  1. as an ellipsis, to show that something has been left out
  2. to imply continuation or trailing off
In my opinion, the first should have a space before and after. "She went to ... School in Bognor Regis." And if it's at the end of a sentence, you have four dots instead - one being the full stop.

In the second case, I don't think there should be a space between the end of the sentence and the three dots. "I think it should just be allowed to trail..." In face, if there were a space before the three dots it could lead to confusion - you might think they signalled omission.

Although I can find plenty of guidance on the use of dots as ellipses, I can't find anything about the second usage.

If you know, please spill the beans (or if you just want to tell me you think I'm right - that tends to go down pretty well too)!

7 comments:

  1. Quote from Wikipedia;

    'Bringhurst suggests that normally an ellipsis should be spaced fore-and-aft to separate it from the text, but when it combines with other punctuation, the leading space disappears and the other punctuation follows. He provides the following examples:

    i … j k…. l…, l l, … l m…? n…..!'

    Although the article also provides some rather over detailed alternative explanations...

    Just realised I finished that with three dots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use dots to indicate something missing but I use them a lot at the end of statements. It's not so much trailing off as indicating to the reader that they should have a think about my previous statement and decide that I am very profound or amusing or both. It can be any number of dots (3+) depending on how deeply I would like them to think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadine, I read that too and I agree with it. But although the writer goes into (great!) detail about using the dots to indicate something has been taken out, there's nothing about implying continuation - or, as Fran says, profundity! I remain in the dark... (yet profound)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly (or not), there is a specific character for ellipses for use on computers: … (Unicode 2026, HTML …, LaTeX \ldots).

    It has less spacing between the dots than three full stops in a row, and is barely ever used because it's not on a keyboard.

    I note that even Blogger uses "substuff said..." with three separate dots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and no space... fuel to my fire...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... [that's my post, which strangely vanished]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm afraid I feel compelled to question the space/no space argument. I use ... frequently and usually as a 'trail off' to a sentence to induce suspence in the readers mind. In which case one would expect there to be a word or two to follow my incomplete sentence therefore there should be a space before the ... as in any flow of words. I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete

Fellow lost souls

About Me

My photo
Why did I turn out such a pedant? Well you'd have to ask my TV-banning, lentil-baking, library-enforcing, doctor-eschewing, beanbag-sitting, grammar-correcting, homeopathic, 2nd dan black belt, all-round no-nonsense mother. 'Cos me, I got no idea.