Thursday 25 March 2010

Art desk in teaching-subs-a-word shocker!

Brace yourselves.

A brace, as a collective noun, does not mean what I thought it did.

It is one of those words that has hovered on the periphery of my consciousness, never needing to be written or spoken (or looked up), just casually absorbed on occasion. I'd heard "a brace of pheasants" and suchlike and assigned it a vague meaning of 'several'.

Wrong!

Upon hearing the phrase "a brace of c***s" used to describe two, ahem, football players, I enquired as to the meaning and was told it meant 'two'. It is often used in sports commentary, apparently.

To the OED I went – and I tip my hat. Indeed it does mean two, or, more specifically, a pair.
brace:
a pair of something, typically of birds or mammals killed in hunting

4 comments:

  1. I believe a brace of pheasants ought to be a male and female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, somewhere between a pair and a couple? That's interesting... this may need to be investigated further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe young Sarah is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been brought up on the A23 London to Brighton road reference to 'a brace of pheasants' was not commonplace. Therefore, when I hear the word brace I think more in terms of being supportive. Somehow I don't think the football critic had this meaning in the forefront of his mind ...

    ReplyDelete

Fellow lost souls

About Me

My photo
Why did I turn out such a pedant? Well you'd have to ask my TV-banning, lentil-baking, library-enforcing, doctor-eschewing, beanbag-sitting, grammar-correcting, homeopathic, 2nd dan black belt, all-round no-nonsense mother. 'Cos me, I got no idea.