Wednesday 31 March 2010

Marketing gold?!

Oh marketing people, bless your little cotton socks but you're a nasty lot. Did you ever consider us poor grocery-bound sub-editors when you named this new ice cream? Hmm? It's a Magnum. And it's gold. So to call it Magnum Gold would have been just fine. Just fine and dandy.*

So what was with the '?!', hmm? See, even just to write that sentence, I had to add a 'hmm' so that my question mark would not butt up against your crazy question-and-exclamation-mark combo (and still I sweated about the comma).

Anyone writing about this product looks damn crazy. Witness:
Unilever is combining a bit of rough with the smooth, as Wolfman star Benicio del Toro replaces Eva Longoria as the face – and eyebrows – of Magnum Gold?!
Yes, it looks as though the reporter either can't quite believe what he or she is writing, or is a little deranged. As a sub-editor, I just couldn't take it: this esteemed publication will be docking you of your '?!' in copy. Now I suggest [wagging finger] you go and have a long think about what you've done!

*Having just done a Google image search for 'Magnum Gold', I wonder if Unilever knew how outnumbered the ice cream would be by horses and guns...

6 comments:

  1. Ah this debate about the name just makes me wonder what it tastes like yummmmmm !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like Caramac bars? It's a bit like that. But colder. Sorry, colder?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ah this debate about the name just makes me wonder what it tastes like yummmmmm !"

    Another marketing/packaging success!

    @cathy

    Why do I get the feeling that in a hundred years time, brave reformers will be pushing for the removal of !!!!!11 from the end of interjections?

    "Look, a single exclamation mark has the same meaning and is easier to type. Also, as often as not, the LOL is implied and need not be written."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Michael, I have news: those brave reformers already walk among us. Today I received a request to write a post on exclamation mark offences, so I am busy gathering evidence. I suspect 'lol' may make a cameo appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds AAAAA++++, as we say on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I strongly suspect that whoever was brainstorming about what new name could be added to Magnum to make it sound extra special simply jotted the ?! on the suggestion board. Next thing they know it's been cast in stone with the accidental addition of ?!. Thus leaving Magnum too red faced to admit their error and pretending it was all meant to mean something?!

    ReplyDelete

Fellow lost souls

About Me

My photo
Why did I turn out such a pedant? Well you'd have to ask my TV-banning, lentil-baking, library-enforcing, doctor-eschewing, beanbag-sitting, grammar-correcting, homeopathic, 2nd dan black belt, all-round no-nonsense mother. 'Cos me, I got no idea.